“Soak in honey
Bathe in rosewater
Find water in stars
Replenish your soul
Be kind to yourself.”
-the last step should be your first
Things I wish someone had told me when I was a college freshman:
- You will always believe you are more mature than you actually are.
- But you are also not as stupid as you fear you are.
- Do not let either of these things stop you from taking risks.
- There is no magic age that makes you an adult. Adults can be childish and young people can be mature.
- Everybody has shit to deal with. Keep this in mind when your shit threatens to overwhelm you.
- Your flaws will never prevent you from being an excellent human being. Other people’s flaws won’t ever prevent them from also being excellent human beings.
- Your professors are people. Not gods. People.
- Taking care of yourself is not the same as being selfish. You are allowed to do things just because they make you happy.
- Never let an “I love you” trap you in a relationship that is making you unhappy. You are allowed to leave a relationship and not feel guilty.
- When you leave a party make sure you have everyone you came with. No roommate left behind.
- Figure out what alcohol does to you and do your best to stop puking by the end of freshman year. The puking grace period ends real quick after that.
- Learn how you best approach schoolwork and embrace it. Don’t feel bad if the way you study is different from your friends.
- Try as hard as possible to ditch the high-school friendship rules. Meet as many people as you can.
- You will hurt people, as much as you like to think you won’t. Apologize. Ask for forgiveness. Remember how this feels when people ask for your forgiveness. Give grace.
- Your favorite experiences happen far outside your comfort zone.
by Ralph Waldo Emerson
In relation to his existence and my geographical proximity (or lack there of)
I was stuck in a fishbowl without any oxygen. Every time I looked at him, I remembered how I missed him- like a drowning person misses air. (05/27 – 1:18 am)
His bedroom was the bearer of silence, the holder of what we thought and what we actually said. (05/29 – 2:24 pm)
You can’t breathe in the air between us if your demons are sitting on your lungs. (05/31 – 6:22 am)
I’ve never been so upset about kissing the wrong person good morning. (06/01 – 8:22 am)
“You are a diamond amongst the rough.” I am so absolutely positive of the brightness you project. In a split second, you eliminated the space between our lips that was taking up so much space. (06/02 – 10:32 am)
Do two realists make dreamers? Or do two dreamers result in reality? What equates to anything? (06/02 – 4:46 pm)
My split open veins. (06/02 – 11:08 pm)
today my horoscope read “love is not for cowards. proceed” (06/02 -11:12 pm)
If you don’t suffer, I don’t suffer. Forgetting about you is not an option, waiting is. This is an apology to the both of us, for the kilometers. (06/03 – 5:01 am)
‘Friendship’ is just a futile word for this situation. It was always more than that, we touched each other in places much more profound than the mouth, or neck. (06/04 – 12:49 am)
Perhaps they were right, putting love into books and movies, Romanticizing only in our imagination. Maybe it’s because love cannot survive anywhere else? I don’t think I truly believe that at all, I don’t think you do either. (06/06 – 4:52 am)
My heart is a 12-year-old boy’s baseball waiting to crash into an old man’s car window. It is a butterfly’s wings beating against the wind. It is a boat travelling the seven seas just to be near you. But if I’m being honest, I need to stop romanticizing.
(06/07 – 2:19 pm)
When you look at a city, you don’t need to count every skyscraper or crack on the sidewalk in order to know it’s there. Nesting millions of births, arguments, life lessons, heartaches, first loves, and deaths every year is enough to know that it exists This is why I don’t divulge details; I’m quite simple (as you say). (06/07 – 11:26 pm)
I fucking forgot that I need to get on a plane tomorrow, I also forgot what exactly that means. (06/08 – 3:40 pm)
In twelve days you have left so many scars on me in places not even lightning can reach, and I’m not prepared for them to heal yet when you are still so close. And there is no time left, but we can still make wounds in our hearts in the shape of bullet-holes—how many people get the opportunity to leave permanent reminders of their presence on others? (06/08 – 10:01 pm)
Your mind is what makes you beautiful. Your vulnerabilities are what make you impeccable. Your closed eyes are what make you naïve. (06/09 – 11:26 am)
Months of waiting for this single moment that closed with blinking back tears and sighs on a street corner. Only to then be released in the cafe street corner, alone. (06/09 – 2:46 pm)
At 30,000 miles above sea level, my thought suspended somewhere between Buenos Aires and New York, I realized that we have now turned into animals. Just hoping to survive; that we survive. Please oh please. (06/09 – 3:21 am)
Talk Show Host, Radiohead
You want me?
Well, fuckin’ come and find me—
I’ll be waiting.
by How to Eat a Cupcake